Toxic Foods & Drinks Your Dog Should Never Eat

Published on January 30th, 2020

We consider our pets members of the family, so sometimes we find ourselves giving in when our dogs beg for human food. However, some foods and drinks that humans consume can be extremely dangerous for your dogs. Our vet in Chicago has created this list of top toxic foods dogs should never eat to help keep them safe and healthy. 


Even small amounts of alcohol found in many drinks and syrups is poisonous to dogs and can cause dangerous intoxication. Intoxication in dogs can cause organ failure and death. Signs your dog may be intoxicated include vomiting, disorientation, restlessness, excessive panting, high body temperature and seizures. If you notice any of these symptoms contact a vet in Chicago as soon as possible. 


Be sure to keep your dog away from your candy drawer, since large amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature and even death. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is to your pet. 

Onions & Garlic

Onions and garlic contain compounds that can cause a variety of serious health issues in your pup including anemia, gastroenteritis and damage to the red blood cells. Be sure to keep a watchful eye on your dog since these symptoms usually occur several days after ingestion. 


Grapes or raisins have been shown to be associated with kidney failure in many dogs. If a dog consumes large amounts of grapes, they may experience vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea shortly after ingestion. These symptoms can lead to dehydration and long term kidney disease if left untreated. 

To learn more about toxic foods to keep away from your pet or if you believe your pet may be in need of treatment, contact our vet in Chicago immediately. Call (773) 725-0260 to get in touch today!

Back to News

Comments are closed.




apply now!

Office Hours

Office Hours

8am - 8pm
8am - 8pm
8am - 8pm
8am - 8pm
8am - 8pm
8am - 4pm